This one’s for all my girls out there! Now don’t be discouraged guys, y’all can do it too, but you’re gonna need to borrow some products from your girlfriends and probably not tell anyone about it unless you are super secure in your masculinity. Which…good for you, Charles Barkley, good for you.
Being full swing into our jobs or back at school, a lot of us are super stressed and don’t make “me” time. Absolutely vital to your life and well-being.
So one night every week, I try to make time for hydration night (cue the applause). It is a struggle to really make the time for it and I probably do it every other week, but it is so worth the effort. And once it is done I feel like a new and rejuvenated Kiley! I think it is one more thing that every girl should do to keep her stress levels down, as well as take care of her body when the cold weather creeps in and her skin and life can get a little dry. That, and every girl deserves to feel really sexy and spoiled at least once in a while.
In order to do this, though, you’re going to need a few things. The recipe for this kind of night is as follows.
Hair: An intensive hair moisturizer. This would include any kind of hair mask, oil, deep conditioner, etc.
What I use: Josie Maran Argan Oil as well as Pureology’s leave in conditioner and Split End Correcting Treatment, but those two can be expensive so use what you have or buy something that works in your price range.
Face: Your favorite skin care routine, a pack of deep cleaning pore strips (these are non-negotiable) and a good moisturizer.
What I use: I have dryish skin so I actually can’t wash my face. Instead, I use cleansing towelettes, but I wouldn’t recommend that for most people. You’re not “supposed” to use them for anything but removing makeup but, well, I don’t care. And I accompany this with my Bioré strips and Cetaphil lotion. (So cheap!)
Body: A Loofah or body brush, razor, exfoliating scrub, and a seriously powerful body lotion.
What I use: Shea Butter from Bath & Body. It is really heavy, which is what you need.
Feet: Pumice Stone, polish, foot cream (or use your body lotion), a file, and cuticle scissors (the second most fun thing I’ve ever done).
What I use: True Blue Spa ‘Super Rich Foot Cream’ from Bath & Body
Other: Two large glasses of water, one at a time. I’m going to tell you to use tap water, because I’m not pompous enough to suggest SmartWater or Pellegrino (but like, you should probably buy one of those).
Ambiance: Candles. Lots of candles. And a fluffy robe, if you’ve got one. Towels will do but ug they really won’t.
- I usually start around eight or nine o’clock, but you do what works for you. And it’s probably best to be done eating for the night at this point. You really want to wash all of that away, you know? Ok. Light all of your candles and place them around your bathtub using the rules of feng shui. You have to ditch your phone for a good hour. I know, brutal. But this honestly won’t work at all if you’re waiting on a text from that guy or in the middle of a group chat planning a Nashville trip.
- Ok I take it back, you can use your phone ONLY if it’s for Pandora. Choose relaxy stations like John Mayer or Coldplay. If I was being honest I’d tell you that I’ve been listening to 12 different 90’s stations but I’m just not ready to admit that yet, so stick to Sinatra.
- Run your favorite bubble bath and use your body brushes, razors, pumice stones, and exfoliant the best way you know how, with the lights off and only the light of the candles to guide you. Taking a bath in college is kind of “ew” because you have to be a little anal about cleaning your tub beforehand, but honestly if you can’t bathe in your tub what the hell are you doing with your life, anyway? And don’t get your hair wet or else. *Crucial part* I take my baths with the shower head on the whole time and it is amAaaAAzing, swear. That feeling you get when you put your face under the shower head and it is the best waterfall God has ever created and life is peaceful for like, a minute? Yeah, do that. And if you are the kind of chick that has to wash her face, do it in here. Don’t forget to take a minute to just relax, though. Baths are a true gift.
- After a good twenty to thirty minutes of bliss, THE SECOND YOU GET OUT OF THE TUB, put your pore strips on. No, right the very second you are done, even before you put your fluffy robe on. The fluffy robe has to be secondary.
- After you robe up in your favorite pair of undies, take your oil/hair moisturizer and comb it through your ends with your fingers. Your ends are like babies and must be loved this way once in a while after all that damage from your main bitch, your flat-iron. My hair mask stays on overnight, but if you have to rinse yours out, do that.
- Use all other moisturizers accordingly, with the exception of your face. Oh my God, the smoothness right? It’s insane and you have barely started. Oh, and start drinking one of the glasses of water. You have to finish both by bed time.
- Nails. Use your clippers/files/polish/etc. to get your toes and fingers looking chic. And if you don’t have time to do them up wonderfully (I have to take my time or it looks like a kindergartener did them), you should clear-ly…use clear. *Smirk.*
- Rip off your pore strips, which is my third favorite and most satisfying thing to do. I usually give myself a grade based on how good my pores look afterwards, but you totally don’t have to do that…(if you don’t you get an F for “Flipping lame,” though). Use a moisturizer that will let you sleep in peace, all the while sipping your water like a housewife drinking wine. Wow, actually it might be better to drink wine. I’ve never done it. Genius.
- Get tucked into your favorite pajamas, either keep your smooth jazz station on or start a rom-com, and veg out while you are still covered in lotion.
- Finish your water (or wine, best to stick with a white, though) and get a good night of sleep, you pampered goddess.
And viola! Up wakes an incredibly sexy and glowing new girl! I bet you feel like you should be in a Pantene commercial, don’t you? Or a Calvin Klein ad? Well if you don’t, you did it wrong, and that’s honestly all I can tell you.
“Hydration Night” really cleanses the body physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Just don’t let it, you know, go to your head how fabulous you are. You are smooth and immaculate but you’re probably still a bitch.