I want to clarify that these twenty lessons to be learned are in reference to the movie Pearl Harbor. My favorite movie of all time next to How to Lose a Guy in 10 days and Now and Then. This is dedicated strictly to the perfect duo of Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett, nothing else.
- First and foremost, if Pearl Harbor is your favorite movie and you and your two friends decided to build replicas of the USS Arizona and two B-29 bombers for your AP US History class and your teacher gave you a ‘C’ because he could obviously tell that you didn’t build them yourselves but he had no proof of that correct assumption…you need to come to terms with it and let it go because it’s been four years. And you deserved the ‘C.’
- History is to iced tea as romance is to lemonade. You can have them separately and they’re great, but the bottom line is that you can have them both together and that’s great, too. The magic combination of romance and history is basically the Arnold Palmer of cinema, and if you don’t understand how that is indeed, magic, then don’t watch the movie and stop whining about it.
- You need a man who says, “ma’am.”
- Kate Beckinsale was always and will always be better than you.
- FDR was absolutely the coolest president we’ve ever had. Although I’m biased because he’s my personal favorite, the “Do not tell me it can’t be done” scene is two things in regards to awe. Awe inspiring and awe…some. Wink.
- You should be anxious to matter.
- It’s never just a pack of birds or B-17’s.
- Don’t mess with Cuba Gooding Jr., snow dogs aren’t think the only thing he’ll take charge of…
- If someone leaves their hankey on your date (or since it’s 2014–a pen–or anything other than a cell phone), don’t run over to her house in the middle of the night to give it back. You’ll look certifiably insane.
- If you realize after your date that you left your hankey or pen, keep your lipstick on in case he stops by in the middle of the night to give it back looking certifiably insane.
- The future’s not exactly in our hands.
- You’ll never see a sad face like Josh Hartnett’s sad face. Ever. And if you need constant reminders of that, you can do what I did in high school and keep his picture taped to your locker. If you don’t have a locker…I don’t know what to say, I can’t combat stupidity.
- The best place to get lost has got to be in a parachute hanger.
- You’ll learn if you are, in fact, the kind a person who would be ok with your boyfriend and best friend getting together after your alleged death, or the kind that wouldn’t. (I’m the kind that wouldn’t, got that Christine?)
- Speaking of that, never forget about “The Code,” even if maybe you think one of the parties is dead. If you haven’t seen a body, you-just-don’t-know.
- Torpedoes are a bitch.
- The bombs that people intently throw at you are probably not “duds.” So you should probably run no matter what. (???)
- If you need to justify why you dropped out of nursing school (like I did) you can use this movie as a crutch. Something like, “I could never have handled a fingers in the artery situation, I’m really glad I figured this out now.”
- Yeah, Alec Baldwin is a piece of work, but he sure can act, and does Doolittle a doo-lottle of justice. Haha. Blink. Blink. Blink.
- And last but equally (if not more) important:
Always watch out for pilots…